- TEXTILE DESIGNER
- One of the FIRST designers hired by Finnish textile company Marimekko
- Her vibrant designs were inspired by her travels and nature
- Worked at Marimekko for 38 years, creating more than 500 different prints
- Her most famous design was Unikko -- nicknamed "the rebel flower" -- which she created to protest a recent company-wide ban of floral prints. Unikko soon became Marimekko's best-selling design and is still used today.
- Focused on painting for the last fourteen years of her life
Bibliography: Doyle, Caitlin. Girls Can Do Anything: From Sports to Innovation, Art to Politics, Meet Over 200 Women Who Got There First. Buffalo: Firefly Books, 2016. Print.
Please note that while Awesome Women Library tries to include links only to media from reputable sources, we cannot attest to the quality or content of any media listed on this website. Our mission is to introduce you to these Awesome Women and give you a wide array of resources for learning more. We haven't read everything listed and are not a recommendation site, nor is this meant to be an exhaustive catalog of every book related to this woman -- there's just too much out there! Happy reading!!